It seems the making of my pallet coffee table started a new obsession – making furniture out of reclaimed wood. So when I started thinking about renovating the kitchen and changing the seating I immediately thought of making my own benches. And so out came the leftover pallets and hammers, and to work I went. This project actually took longer than expected, because my leg ideas changed over time, mostly because I had to accommodate the heater that ran along the side and back walls. I knew I wanted the bench to sit flush against the wall, but had to have the legs at least 3 inches in in order to avoid the heater. I thought of steel pipe legs (01), of hairpin legs (02) and finally just settled on making them out of wood and staining them black, to imitate a metal finish (03) – because of easier construction and cost. Making these benches would have been way easier if not for that heater though…
First step involved tearing apart my remaining pallets.
Second step, cutting them to length. My original idea was to construct one ridiculously long bench for that area – just over 90 inches long. My dad helped me realize how unsteady that would be, and the idea changed into take two 45 inch benches that can now be used elsewhere when we move, even for outdoor seating!
The eight boards for two bench tops.
And here the legs are being constructed – a rough box shape, with an extra 3 inches on one end to accommodate the heater. We clamped these together and simply screwed in the from the top and sides.
Four constructed bench legs.
And the final product – the legs were screwed in from the top, and a middle 2X4 was placed underneath in the center, for extra support and to prevent warping. Sanding came next…
Followed by staining…
And putting them into place! I used a stain in Golden Pecan, painted the legs with black paint and added coats of polyurethane to the stain. The benches fit perfectly in the area, they don’t move at all and they’re super stable.
Here you can see the heater underneath, but thankfully everything measured out correctly and it fits just right. I might add a long cushion in the future, but for now I’m enjoying just the wood finish with some decorate home-made pillow covers (the fabric is actually from Ikea!).